Taber & District Housing Foundation has 107 units which provide Senior Self-Contained Housing in Taber and the surrounding area (Barnwell, Vauxhall, and Grassy Lake). There is one application process for all of these facilities.
(Download the Application for Senior Self-Contained Housing.)
Fire Safety Information
- In Case of Fire: Call 911.
- Notify your neighbours if possible.
- Do not go back into a burning building.
- Smoke Detectors: All housing units are equipped with smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are, for the most part, wired directly to the electricity. (A few detectors are battery powered and they will be labeled by our Maintenance Department.) Smoke detectors are checked each year during the Fall Inspections, and during move in and move outs. Furnaces are serviced at this time also.
- Triggered Smoke Detectors: Check to see if there is a fire. The most common false alarms are from burning toast or steam from the bathroom.
- Do Not Disarm: Smoke detectors should NEVER be disarmed for any reason. Incidents should be reported to the TDHF business office at 403-223-2767 for follow-up.
- Prepare An Evacuation Plan: Plan your escape NOW and practice it!
- Meeting Place: Meeting place is outside at the front of every building so everyone can be accounted for.
- Personal Property & Liability Insurance: All tenants are required to have adequate personal property and liability insurance.
- Furnace & Hot Water Heaters: Keep three feet around the furnace and hot water heater free of any material (e.g. newspapers, paint, clothing, etc.)
- Tenant Insurance: We encourage each tenant to have a Tenant Insurance Policy.
NOTE: See your lease, under ‘Tenant Obligations’, ‘Tenant’s Insurance’.
- Regular Maintenance: For regular maintenance call 403-308-2846, or call the TDHF business office at 403-223-2767 from Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM.
NOTE: The degree of urgency should be stressed when you call.
- Emergency Maintenance: If an EMERGENCY occurs after normal business hours, call 403-308-2846. The answering service will relay the emergency to the appropriate personnel, who are “on call”. If the after hours call is NOT an emergency, a $40.00 maintenance fee will be charged to the tenant.
- Inspections: Units are inspected once a year. When a tenant moves in or out of a housing unit, the tenant will have the opportunity to inspect the unit together with TDHF staff to determine condition.
- Boiler: TDHF maintains the heating boilers.
- Heat Flow: Keep furniture away from all baseboard rads for proper flow of heat.
- Kitchen Range & Refrigerator: The manuals explaining their operation should be located in the cupboard drawer nearest the range. Please read the cleaning instructions, and keep the appliances up accordingly.
- Flooring: Must be cleaned on a regular basis. NO WAX!
- Yard & Sidewalks: Taber & District Housing Foundation is responsible for maintaining sidewalk and yard/grass areas around Senior Self Contained buildings.
- Garbage: All household waste should be properly distributed as per The Town of Taber Recycle Project. Peak periods, such as moving, can strain container capacity – so please recycle whenever possible. For more information of Recycling go to: https://www.taber.ca/town-services/public-works/waste-collection-disposal
- Conclusion: Taber & District Housing Foundation is interested in maintaining all homes to a commendable community standard. Each year a considerable amount of money is spent to provide accommodation that is both affordable and pleasant to live in. Please assist us by doing what you can in order to keep the standard high! Thank you for your cooperation and assistance. Do not hesitate to call our office if you have any questions at 403-223-2767.
Move Out Information
- Inspections: Please call maintenance (403-308-2846) to arrange for final inspection.
- Keep Off Grass: Please do not drive vehicles on lawn when loading furniture.
- Trash: Empty all trash before vacating premises.
- Cleaning The Kitchen:
- Wash inside and outside of the cupboards
- Wash countertops
- Clean the stove (burners, oven and outside)
- Clean fridge (please leave it plugged in)
- Clean the floors and walls (especially behind fridge and stove)
- Cleaning The Bathroom:
- Clean toilet, bathtub, sink and medicine cabinet
- Clean walls and floors
- Cleaning The Rest Of The Unit:
- Clean all interior and exterior doors
- Clean light fixtures and relpace any bad bulbs
- Dust the curtain rods
- Wash windows and window tracks
- Carpets must be steam cleaned
- Wash walls and floors
- Sweep down walls and floors in basements
NOTE: TDH charges the Tenant $15/hour if the unit is not cleaned thoroughly. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear.
Independent Senior Housing Handbook
(Handbook being developed)
Check back for new handbook soon!